Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Utopia"

Exclamation "Utopia"

Hellooo

Along with my sudden urge to use Linux and learn more about how it's working, I've suddenly gained an urge to go even further down the tree to writing an operating system.

Before continuing, this is a fun/learning/hobby project, this means it won't get as much attention as whiteLight when it needs it, etc.

The aim of "Utopia" is to provide a simple multitasking operating system, with a hardened TCP/IP stack, that will be capable of hosting both a HTTP Server and an FTP server. At the end of it all, the operating system may be capable of hosting medium-traffic websites from a low resource system without crippling, and also most likely in an OS smaller than 5mb.

I've decided that other people are welcome to test and contribute to the OS development, sooo... Is anyone interested? Again I'd like to stress that this is nothing serious.. Just find it very interesting, hoping others do too.

Status (These are just brief points of major implementations.. lots more than this in reality):
    Bootable Kernel :tick:
    Simple Console Output :tick:
    Coloured Console Output :tick:
    Formatted Console Output :tick:
    C Standard Library < Current (Implementing string.h)
    PS/2 Keyboard Driver :cross:
    Filesystem Driver :cross:
    Process Management (Including IPC layer, etc) :cross:
    Network Driver :cross:
    HTTP Server Core :cross:
    FTP Server Core :cross:

I'll upload source/setup an SVN soon.
    whiteLight: ET, whiteLight: Quake Live (Formerly QLHook) and many other game hacks at http://whitelight.me.uk/

Re: "Utopia"

Limits my friend... Ever heard of 'em?
    Feel free to shout though if you need some testing done.
    Wonder how long this will keep you entertained

Quote Originally Posted by xHalt View Post
    Limits my friend... Ever heard of 'em?
    Nahhh limits are just a small delay until you gain the knowledge to overcome them

Quote Originally Posted by xHalt View Post
    Feel free to shout though if you need some testing done.
    Wonder how long this will keep you entertained
    :worship::worship::worship:

I have a feeling this will last at least a month!! As well as whiteLight (+ *nix version) and normal work. Should be fun :laugh:
    whiteLight: ET, whiteLight: Quake Live (Formerly QLHook) and many other game hacks at http://whitelight.me.uk/

Nice muppetalert.
    I hope you will succeed, this will proove that you are really 1337.
    Although I think whiteLight has proven that already. :P
    Google is your friend
    Before asking any (stupid) questions use the search-option first
    Stupid question = stupid answer
    I do NOT respond to private messages when you ask for hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho_007 View Post
    Nice muppetalert.
    I hope you will succeed, this will proove that you are really 1337.
    Although I think whiteLight has proven that already. :P
    100% aggreed

Okay well here's a quick little screenie, don't know what it's meant to demonstrate really but just to prove it's working I guess??

The rat is the exception handler, aka when the kernel panics and freaks out on you you'll get a rat sayin you broke it, which you probably did - Or like in this case, the part it's trying to load just isn't there yet.. Joy!!

I've also been thinking about the ultimate aim of this and I think I'm going to work towards it being focussed as a virtualised OS, I mean so for my servers I can host multiple Utopia servers and have multiple clients in their own little space. Kindof like a less bloated application pool from IIS. Only downside is there'd be no script.. Unless I port PHP over to it which I don't want to do........... hmmmmmmmm the possibilites are endless........ maybe I do want to do that. Then we'd also need MySQL which can't really be ported...... or can it? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

haha...I can imagine a year from now, Utopia will probley be a top of the line linux

Great work mate, keep making them and I will try it in the holidays
    "The pain you feel today, will be the strength you feel tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by FreckleS View Post
    haha...I can imagine a year from now, Utopia will probley be a top of the line linux

Great work mate, keep making them and I will try it in the holidays
    Every server, hosting company would charge 5$ more for Utopia xD

Ah well, as I myself have tried that once, I'd be glad to help / test you (my try ended upp in blowing cpu..- but dont worry )

Smile Re: "Utopia"

Quote Originally Posted by muppetalert View Post
    Okay well here's a quick little screenie, don't know what it's meant to demonstrate really but just to prove it's working I guess??

The rat is the exception handler, aka when the kernel panics and freaks out on you you'll get a rat sayin you broke it, which you probably did - Or like in this case, the part it's trying to load just isn't there yet.. Joy!!

I've also been thinking about the ultimate aim of this and I think I'm going to work towards it being focussed as a virtualised OS, I mean so for my servers I can host multiple Utopia servers and have multiple clients in their own little space. Kindof like a less bloated application pool from IIS. Only downside is there'd be no script.. Unless I port PHP over to it which I don't want to do........... hmmmmmmmm the possibilites are endless........ maybe I do want to do that. Then we'd also need MySQL which can't really be ported...... or can it? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    You could prototype the functionality with sqlite right? That is really cool. I also like Sun's Virtualbox. That's impressive that you are working towards a new OS. The last time I read a message like that was a text file that was a saved post from usenet alt.minix by Linus Torvalds. He said his would suck and wouldn't be any big deal.

I'm very interested in the progress of Utopia. You should start a mailing list and if you already have add me. :happy:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast