New Browser Game

In my younger years, I used to be quite a fan of browser games: no 3D graphics, just a webpage & few buttons to provide quite some entertainment. For those unfamiliar with the genre, take a look at Travian for instance.

In a few weeks, I'll finally have the time to do what I've been wanting to do for a few years now, make a game of my own.
    As I of course only have my own preferences and ideas to base on, I'd like to query you all for your preferences, what you like in such a game and what not, whether you prefer playing a few minutes every day, then having to wait 24 hours or play real-time, prefer many different play paths, the genre you prefer (strategy, RPG, mix, ...), the setting (medieval, futuristic, current, fantasy, ...), ...

Fire away!

Super Moderator

Re: New Browser Game

Would be good if the game only needed you to play a few minutes every day, but all these games with the "wait 24 hours" system are annoying Imo.
    I prefer RPG, always hated strategy games (or at least most of them). The setting could be futuristic, but rather like year 2200 than 10000. World War III theme would be awesome Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveBeast View Post
    Would be good if the game only needed you to play a few minutes every day, but all these games with the "wait 24 hours" system are annoying Imo.
    I prefer RPG, always hated strategy games (or at least most of them). The setting could be futuristic, but rather like year 2200 than 10000. World War III theme would be awesome Imo.
    WWIII Whit Sticks And Stones

Coders

First of all, its good to see you're back xHalt! When exams are finished, I'm sure we all have more time to do some new things.

I'm no big fan of a browsergame and I highly doubt I would play any. But its always nice to let you hear my ideas, and if it works well, you might find me there!

To go further on BraveBeast his idea:
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveBeast
    The setting could be futuristic, but rather like year 2200 than 10000. World War III theme would be awesome Imo.
    How about people who can trade. Everybody starts small and you can build your own futuristic city. Preferable in flash, rendering live interaction with alot of possibilitys. People could earn money and sell stuff for a certain, limited price. City's can battle, based on a few factors and combat-troups.

Every person playing a game has this 'competition' feeling, beeing the best, reaching the top. If you hit that feeling the right way, I'm sure the game will have a nice population.

Kind regards,
    mOwl

Quote Originally Posted by mOwl View Post
    First of all, its good to see you're back xHalt! When exams are finished, I'm sure we all have more time to do some new things.

I'm no big fan of a browsergame and I highly doubt I would play any. But its always nice to let you hear my ideas, and if it works well, you might find me there!

To go further on BraveBeast his idea:

How about people who can trade. Everybody starts small and you can build your own futuristic city. Preferable in flash, rendering live interaction with alot of possibilitys. People could earn money and sell stuff for a certain, limited price. City's can battle, based on a few factors and combat-troups.

Every person playing a game has this 'competition' feeling, beeing the best, reaching the top. If you hit that feeling the right way, I'm sure the game will have a nice population.

Kind regards,
    mOwl
    Ieeeewwwwww! Flash?!
    Problem with a typical flash game is that it basically involves playing the game on your own, then upload your score, so: local flash game rendering without any connection being made, then a simple POST with the score.
    Was thinking more along the lines of AJAX, Javascript, Php & Mysql - driven, enabling constant multiplayer interaction like battle, trade, rankings, possibility for teaming up, co-op in quests, all seemlessly integrated, ... Flash just ain't ideal for that...
    Additional advantage: webpage-based can be run on any low-end system, pda, smartphone, while flash is not supported or holds limitations when it has to be able to run on a 'light' platform.

(do like the rest of the post btw, just thought I'd bash Flash for a bit)

Coders

Quote Originally Posted by xHalt View Post
    Ieeeewwwwww! Flash?!
    Problem with a typical flash game is that it basically involves playing the game on your own, then upload your score, so: local flash game rendering without any connection being made, then a simple POST with the score.
    Was thinking more along the lines of AJAX, Javascript, Php & Mysql - driven, enabling constant multiplayer interaction like battle, trade, rankings, possibility for teaming up, co-op in quests, all seemlessly integrated, ... Flash just ain't ideal for that...
    Additional advantage: webpage-based can be run on any low-end system, pda, smartphone, while flash is not supported or holds limitations when it has to be able to run on a 'light' platform.

(do like the rest of the post btw, just thought I'd bash Flash for a bit)
    I had no idea you wanted a live interaction between user and server. Then Javascript should be fine for it, jQuery supports animations and the internet is full of eases
    Looks like you are taking this project serious by supporting multiple platforms. I wish you the best of luck, especially when debugging js

This might be far thinking, but you should link your usersystem to the ab.net user database. Game-awards could be given then, I'v seen this before on other forums. They offered simple games, and whoever has the highscore, has an icon of a crown under its nickname.

Kind regards,
    mOwl

I had no idea you wanted a live interaction between user and server. Then Javascript should be fine for it, jQuery supports animations and the internet is full of eases
    Looks like you are taking this project serious by supporting multiple platforms. I wish you the best of luck, especially when debugging js
    JQuery IS nice idd. Used it before to create drag&drop between 2 lists. Great fun.

This might be far thinking, but you should link your usersystem to the ab.net user database. Game-awards could be given then, I'v seen this before on other forums. They offered simple games, and whoever has the highscore, has an icon of a crown under its nickname.
    Great thinking! Love it.

Ahh..today's rpg are all about the new fancy way of writing your scripts including some of the most developed scripts. Anyways i do also like the idea of php+ajax+mysql. This is the best combination that you could create an easy rpg. Currently i started working on an rpg that way, though it takes a while to build the mysql. And the worst part in every great rpg is building the graphic which is hell. Like if you are into making inventory system, which is very cool doing like dressing up items on a character, the basic idea of javascript here is easy...drag-drop-mysqlsave. but graphically it's a nightmare and of course doing all in css.
    Currently working on a RPG.

http://crusher.megabyet.net -RPG Develop BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by xHalt View Post
    In my younger years, I used to be quite a fan of browser games: no 3D graphics, just a webpage & few buttons to provide quite some entertainment. For those unfamiliar with the genre, take a look at Travian for instance.

In a few weeks, I'll finally have the time to do what I've been wanting to do for a few years now, make a game of my own.
    As I of course only have my own preferences and ideas to base on, I'd like to query you all for your preferences, what you like in such a game and what not, whether you prefer playing a few minutes every day, then having to wait 24 hours or play real-time, prefer many different play paths, the genre you prefer (strategy, RPG, mix, ...), the setting (medieval, futuristic, current, fantasy, ...), ...

Fire away!

DUDE!

I LOVE travian!
    But I wish I could get some hacks for it....every where I search ,I come across survey crap and I was banned for using multiple accounts....!