Game Server Query help

Hi, i need help with Game Server Query. I'd like to make a leader board for a game that is run on an older (i actually think its version 1) Gamespy engine. The game is very old, "SWAT 4" is the game. It is possible to query this particular game because i've seen a clan website that has a working program to query it, i just don't want to buy it and im the type that would rather code things from scratch myself so i learn.

I've googled, trust me. I came across a lot of already built Server Query libraries the only one i found that was in PHP was GameQ, which didn't work; at least for this particular game.

I'm not exactly "new" to coding i understand some i guess i'm right under the intermediate level as i can build anything i want in PHP... But i never really took on advanced topics like Server Query... Please help me.

Re: Game Server Query help

Does anyone know how to do server query? I really need help please :/

You should get a packet sniffer and log the packets that are sent to the servers when you start the game and view the server browser...

By doing that you see the raw data that you need to send, receive and then parse.
    whiteLight: ET, whiteLight: Quake Live (Formerly QLHook) and many other game hacks at http://whitelight.me.uk/

I know what a packet sniffer is and what they do, but i don't know how to use them.... And i can't seem to find any information/documentation on the Gamespy engine's server query, not all game engine companies release that info i guess.. How would i go about sniffing the packets that are sent to the server? Would i have to join the server via the game then watch for my packets that are sent to it?

Well if you install one you'll see it in action, it basically just shows you all of the data sent/received over a single connection.

When you start the game and view the server list it should query a lot of different things.. This is every server available depending on the engine. If that's the case, simply look at what they're sending (You'll want the byte values, not the actual ASCII data) and send it to the server yourself, then see what's returned.

Do you think you can maybe add one of my messengers and help me with this? I think it would be quicker and im new to stuff like this... Im trying to find some free thorough detailed online video tutorials on how all this works but i can't

Can't, I don't have the internet!

It's fairly simple though, download Wireshark / Etherdetect and filter out all the crap you don't need (port 80, local communications, etc etc) and what's remaining is the gameserver data.

OK so i got to that point but a lot of the stuff i see is not that readable or at least doesn't look helpful. When i monitor the game server's IP then go onto Webadmin (to admin the server via web browser) all i see is the headers and the returned HTML. When i actually launch the game and join the server i see a lot of non-readable stuff. Should i post some of it?