Finding offsets for .so files

Hello, I know how to find offsets in IDA Pro for windows dlls, but, how can I do it for linux? The offsets are different and I can't debug them in IDA Pro, how to?
    Thanks in advance

Semi-Coder

Re: Finding offsets for .so files

IDA Pro handles ELF files also. Under linux install Wine then install IDA Pro and load up the ELF file just as you would a PE file. Practice on the et executable and search for your usual strings to get started. Also if you are getting messed up fonts in IDA Pro google for courie32.exe and install that via Wine.

thanks for replying, but I have a problem, for jaymod 2.2.0, I found the following offsets:
    cg_missile, cg_entitites, cgs, cg_trace, BG_EvaluateTrajectory, CG_EntityEvent, CG_FinishWeaponChange, CG_DamageFeedback, CG_RailTrail2
    I couldn't find CG_WeaponFireRecoil which is needed by ETH 1.4, and I tried 0x260 for CG_ENTITIES_CURRENTVALID_OFFSET and it worked
    the bot is working on jaymod 2.2.0 servers, but the damage feedback thing still doesn't works, since I don't have the offsets and had to comment the part refering to detouring weapon fire recoil in hook.c
    And when I tried to find the offsets used by eth32, I didn't succeed because there was many offsets that I couldn't find, which I found easily using the .dll. like refdef, etc
    I have no idea how to get them. In .dll I found those offsets by comparing with jaymod 2.1.7 offsets, and it was a bit easier.
    My problem with the weapon fire recoil, is that all those strings related to fireweapon, so easy in .dll, doesn't xref to a address like in jaymod 2.1.7 .so file
    Another thing, my firsts addresses in the .so file are 0x4919C, so I can't find any offset with lower value =( Don't know what I'm doing wrong
    Can you help me?
    Thanks a lot for taking a look at the topic

Semi-Coder

Ah I get what you are needing. CG_WeaponFireRecoil isn't its own function in jaymod. This should help you http://aimbots.net/reverse-engineeri...irerecoil.html

Thanks! I managed to get the damage feedback all right, but, I tried what is explained in that post, just changed your post to my offsets I found for jaymod 2.2.0, but I still don't hear gunsounds, but damage feedback is ok for me now.
    I would like to know how to find refdef offsets, and other, needed for ETH32, so far I can only play with eth-1.4, refdef and other offsets are really hard to me to find them with IDA pro
    Any ideas?
    thanks once again

btw, I saw that you posted on rabbnix.co.cc a crosshair priority, well, I'm using eth-1.4 architect b2 with crosshair priority but it doesn't works for me here, it still aims first for distance =/

Semi-Coder

Ok did some looking into 2.2.0 and they changed things a little. To get rid of damage feedback you can detour 0x115947 to 0x115958 or just nop everything from 0x115947 up to 0x115958. Also refdef is located at 0x49d80. I didn't actually test these but 99% sure they are correct.

To find other offsets I would recommend studying the sdk for ET and then do some investigating. FYI, offsets for this mod aren't as easily found as ones in the past.

thanks for the refdef offset,I will try to find the other ones needed for eth32
    about the weapon sounds, I was using those address you point there, I can hear other people gun sounds,when I spec them, but I can't hear mine sounds, dunno what's going on there, but no problem.
    About the crosshair, I noticed it wasn't you, it was rabbit who posted hehe, even though it doesn't works for me on jaymod 2.2.0

I don't know too much about ETH32 or ET, apart from that the non-engine offsets are mod-specific.

But instead of doing this, can't you get it from the syscalls ?
    Code:
            case CG_R_RENDERSCENE:
                if(first) 
                {
                    first=0;
                    cg.refdef=*((refdef_t*)original_VM_Arg( (void*) command[1]))      ;
                    VectorAngles(cg.refdef.viewaxis[0],cg.refdefViewAngles) ;
                    cg.refdefViewAngles[0]= -cg.refdefViewAngles[0]         ;
    Additionally, you can disassemble a Linux .so file with IDA pro on Windows, too, plus IDA also has a command line mode on Linux. You'll need a USB stick to transfer the file, or a file system driver for ext3/4.

To actually decompile and not just disassemble, you'll need the HexRays plugin.

Additionally, I read somewhere, ETH32 passes some parameters with FASTCALL, so you need to debug and set breakpoints to get them. On Linux, you can use gdb for this. Google will tell you the rest.

What I would do if I was you is taking the old mod, taking the old offsets, searching the .so for them, and determine how they can be found. Then you can apply that knowledge to the new mod. Since the difference between the old and the new one are probably minor, that strategy probably works. It worked very well for me with QVMkanker, and I guess it will for the dll/so, too.
    When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, then there's no end to what you can't do...