Thread: RIP Xfire!

Hybrid View

RIP Xfire!

Hey guys

it has been ages since I have made a post on this forum (such a shame because it used to be a very active community back in the days). I just wanted to inform that the Xfire chat client has gone offline forever. Eversince the new owners took over there has been basicly no support, no updates or whatsoever anymore. And a few weeks ago a few gaming communities reported that Xfire would discontinue its social services as of the 12th of june 2015 which happened. Now a few weeks later the chat client has gone offline for good. Xfire was a very popular chat client which allowed people to chat ingame when they were playing games like FIFA 08, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4, Wolfenstein ET et cetera. But eversince the new owners took over, there hasn't happened alot to the social community nor to the chat client. I think there was 1 'big' update a few years ago followed by the renewed Xfire Beta website. Xfire itself will keep existing but will now just be a 'Tournament platform' focusing on the more competitive side of online gaming.

I have used this program for many many years, I believe my account was made somewhere in march 2006.

Rest in peace Xfire!
    Google is your friend
    Before asking any (stupid) questions use the search-option first
    Stupid question = stupid answer
    I do NOT respond to private messages when you ask for hacks.

Super Moderator

Re: RIP Xfire!

R.I.P.

I was also a user since like 2007, but by 2013 pretty much no one used it anymore. It all went to shit after they moved on to the new horrible site and client, I only kept the old client to sometimes take in-game screenshots (which are now lost), and then completely moved on to Steam.

It's because the new owners were retarded and just completely ripped away what Xfire was built for...social gaming. They turned it into a competitive organizing platform instead of keeping the social aspect the main focus. Completely unwarranted and a horrible business plan, based on what most users were using Xfire for.

To me, good riddance with new owners but I weep for what Xfire was and could have been. I, personally, don't like competitive gaming in a serious sense but enjoy a good roundabout with a few groups every once in a while. Not that anyone doesn't like competitive ladders and everything, but Xfire just isn't that kind of software.

Again, good riddance to the new owners, RIP to Xfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    It's because the new owners were retarded and just completely ripped away what Xfire was built for...social gaming. They turned it into a competitive organizing platform instead of keeping the social aspect the main focus. Completely unwarranted and a horrible business plan, based on what most users were using Xfire for.

To me, good riddance with new owners but I weep for what Xfire was and could have been. I, personally, don't like competitive gaming in a serious sense but enjoy a good roundabout with a few groups every once in a while. Not that anyone doesn't like competitive ladders and everything, but Xfire just isn't that kind of software.

Again, good riddance to the new owners, RIP to Xfire.
    I agree with you about this, the only reason I used Xfire for was to talk to people ingame and to check out the time spent on all these games I played. One of its most useful features ever must have been the ability to join ones game through Xfire as long as the user didn't hide his/her server info.
    Google is your friend
    Before asking any (stupid) questions use the search-option first
    Stupid question = stupid answer
    I do NOT respond to private messages when you ask for hacks.

damn never been on xfire in few years... when did they shutdown? D: i had friends on there lol

xFire was solid, but steam just took over. All my friends just stopped using it, so I kinda followed in their footsteps.
    Kinda sad to see it go as well.